Material relating to campaigning project 'Big Up', led by The Gay Men's Health Charity' (GMFA)
Scope and Contents
GMFA's campaign 'Big Up' set out to raise awareness about Black gay men's health and HIV in the Black community. It was a volunteer working group operating through the charity GMFA and funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
The material includes:
1. Poster: 'HIV is a Virus: it has no race, gender or sexuality' (and duplicate)
2. Poster: 'Be Switched On', on the subject of embracing diversity in the community (and duplicate)
3. Postcard: 'HIV from the bottom to the top' (and duplicate)
4. Pamphlet 'The Big Update: The sexual health needs of Black gay men and Black men who have sex with men' by Jaime Sylla and Matthew Hodson, c.2009 which provides a review of GMFA's research on Black gay men attitudes, experience and sexual health behaviours.
5. DVD of a film 'Beyond Labels', a film by Jaime Sylla, 2010, produced by GMFA. The film explores the life experiences of Black gay men and features Theodore Brown, Vernal Scott, Christian Neckles, Dejay Scott and John Noel Glynn with a soundtrack by Ram Khatabakhsh (and duplicate)
Conditions Governing Access
Contains content of a sexual nature that some people might find offensive.
Conditions Governing Use
GMFA: the gay men's health charity
1 file and oversize
Language of Materials
Donated by Jaime Sylla, the Director of GMFA, May 2011
- Archive: Material relating to campaigning project 'Big Up', led by The Gay Men's Health Charity' (GMFA)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives Collection Repository
Black Cultural Archives
1 Windrush Square